11 Interesting Facts About London
March 14, 2021
Heavy & Small Plant for Hire, Bobcat Skid Steers, Competitively Priced Mini Excavators & Dumpers
London is a fascinating place, culturally diverse, historically interesting and entertaining, here are a few facts you may not know about the capitol : –
- There are over 8 million residents in London, and collectively speaking more than 300 languages.
- You may not enter the Houses of Parliament wearing a suit of armour, although you are allowed to die there!
- Big Ben refers not to the clock, but to the bell encased within the tower.
- Jack the Ripper was never caught, though many were suspected including Prince Albert, Lewis Carroll and Queen Victoria’s doctor; Sir William Gull.
- There are even today 6 ravens with clipped wings housed in the Tower of London by order of Charles II, plus a spare raven in case one escapes.
- The Great Plague was responsible for the deaths of 25 million people in 5th century, that was a third of the population.
- When first proposed, it was suggested that the London Underground be filled with water, and barges used to float from station to station. Fortunately they opted for trains instead!
- In 1666, the Great Fire of London reduced the city to ruins yet only 6 deaths were recorded. Many more are thought to have died from indirect causes.
- A tiny statue on Philpot Lane, London showing two tiny mice eating cheese, appeared as a result of two builders who fell to their deaths. They fell during an argument over a cheese sandwich, as each blamed the other for eating it. The culprits were actually mice.
- The dome of St Pauls Cathedral could have been a 60 foot stone pineapple, which was one of Sir Christopher Wren’s original ideas.
- There is a time capsule located on Victoria Embankment erected in 1838, called Cleopatra’s Needle. It includes a map of London, some newspapers, a bible, a rupee and 12 photographs of attractive women.
Another interesting fact is that you can hire high quality plant machinery, tools and equipment for projects in North London from Rhinos Plant Hire.
High Performance Plant Machinery, Secure, Construction, Landscaping or DIY, North London
Bobcat Skid Steers Competitively Priced Mini Excavators Dumpers Heavy Small Plant Hire